Background

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hubba Wha?

I never like it when I read a blog and the first thing the teacher says is "I haven't blogged in forever.  I've been so busy."  

But here I go…..

My teaching life just got Crazy..with a capital C.

Update:  I had a restful Thanksgiving break.  I went to the windy city AND went to the beach down south.  Cold and warm all in one vacation.  It was delightful.  I got to wear my swimsuit as well as my favorite scarf (not at the same time, silly.) Big city meets book on the beach. It was too good to be true. *sigh*

When I came back from the too-good-to-be-true break, my class size doubled.  

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I now have 22 students instead of 12. 
(I know what you are thinking. It's not quite double, but in my book that's a lot of extra bodies in a classroom)

I don't know how the normal public school teachers do it with 22, 24, and 29 in a classroom? That's absurd!  

To make a long story short, my head is barely above water, and I'm in survival mode until Christmas break.  I am trying my hardest to give these students exactly what they need.  It is so much easier to feel like a good teacher (kind, caring, compassionate, and actually TEACHING) with a small class size.  It truly does make a difference!

My life saver this past week and a half has been Conscious Discipline.  It has seriously saved my life….and a few student's as well.  I am so glad I stubbled upon it this summer.  The funny thing is, I have only read through chapter 3.  It's ridiculous how much of an impact reading the book has made on my teaching career.  I cannot wait to read more and my students cannot either.  

Does anyone have a word of advice for my classroom?  I'd love to hear your thoughts or ideas!

-The Frizz


No comments:

Post a Comment