Background

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Currently Spookie!

Hello!

Happy October!

I am so excited it's October.  

Pumpkins.

Cooler weather.

Leaves falling.

Anticipation of cooler weather.

Here in Texas, we don't get much of an Autumn.  

But we have pumpkin spice lattes and cinnamon apple candles.

Six weeks into school.

Where has the time gone?


Listening to Parenthood on repeat.  Anybody with me?

Loving the cool-ish weather.  I will take 90 degrees any day over 108!  I am not loving the mosquitoes though.  They are really bad right now.  Can you believe that one day last week we had to cancel recess because of the mosquitoes.  Cancel!?! Yes.  As in, we had to have inside recess in the library and work out to a VHS from the 80's!  VHS.  As in, that video tape thing from the nineties! I actually had to hit the tv on it's side in order to make the picture clear.  One of my students taught me that. I digress.

Thinking I am blind as a bat.  Truth.  October brings about lots of learning about bats, but I truly am one when it comes to sight.  I just went to the eye doctor this week and had a grand old time walking around without my contacts or glasses on.  It was almost as fun as carrying on a conversation with my dentist as his hands are in my mouth.

I could use an 8th day to my week right about now.  In teaching, there are ebbs and flows.  Sometimes I am above water, other times I am just keeping my head above water long enough to take a breath before going under again. At this point, I am barely treading water.  I'm sure you can tell by my lack of blog posts.  I need more time in the week in order to keep up.  This teacher is barely surviving the demands of each week.  Switching grade levels really kills your social life...

I am in need of a good massage.  'nough said.

My trick this month has been classdojo.com

Sign up.

Use it.

It will change your life.

But seriously.  The first day I used it with my kids, they all transformed into motivated fairies. I don't think I heard a peep out of anyone.   They magically watched our TV screen with the website pulled up as they simultaneously completed all of their work without any problems or distractions.  It.  Was. Amazing.  Everyone wanted a point next to their avitar even though no one knew what the points were for.  After a week of centers (I only use this during center time) we cashed in our points for computer lab time.  Students with the most points got to choose their website (out of three choices), students with negative points had to sit out a few minutes.

It. Is. Amazing.

Sign up.

Use it.

It will change your life.


I will leave you with a beautiful photo taken by my favorite friend at a retreat last weekend.

This was my favorite spot that I found.  I wish I could sit here everyday!



I hope you can find some sort of rest this week as you pour out your heart to your little ones.

Grace and peace to you,
 photo signature1_zps4ea97c0d.png  photo Mac-Header_zps21ed0e8a.png

4 comments:

  1. I've read several "Currentlys", and everyone seems really tired! I need a secretary. And some chocolate!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be young! I'm 30 and I know the 'bash the VHS player on the side' trick very well. I play books on tape for my kidlets at school sometimes and they call cassettes the 'olden days CDs'. :)

    The photo you shared is absolutely gorgeous - your hair is stunning!

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've missed recess FIVE total days now because of the mosquitoes! {I'm in the DFW area.} Our town found a mosquito that tested positively for West Nile, so the town sprayed via helicopter a few times. I've never seen anything like that before! I can't believe your kiddos had to work out to an 80's VHS tape, though. Wow. I am cracking up, thinking of my little ones in Richard Simmons/Jane Fonda gear. hehe. Here's to less mosquitoes and cooler weather!

    ~Mrs. K. from The Teacher Garden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out class dojo. My tricks and treats were just sort of "duh" not anything special at all. :(
    We actually have a tv that we have to hit sometimes until it gets warmed up! So I had to laugh at that!

    ReplyDelete