Background

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Goodbye Teacher Desk…Hello Clutter!

Whew!  After blog stalking most of the afternoon, it seems like we are ALL exhausted from our first week back.  I hope you are enjoying a latte and your long-lost couch.  You did it!  


When I moved into my *new* classroom this year, I didn't get a teacher's desk.  I had been thinking about getting rid of it for about a year, after I read this book.


I thought it would be a great use of space to just use a bookshelf and my small group table as shared space for my students and myself. 

Little did I know (Debbie Diller did NOT tell me!) that after a mere 4 months, the clutter would PILE UP!   I guess I was used to just shoving things in drawers or behind closed cabinets.  (My last classroom lent itself to all kinds of "Junk Drawers" of sorts.)  This new classroom is all open, not a single cabinet or shelf came with it.  

Here is a photo essay of the work that I accomplished this winter break.  

It is by no means perfectly organized, but hopefully by sharing my stack of clutter it might inspire a few to organize a shelf or two.  

Get out there and organize! Even if it is the space behind your desk!  You will feel 100 times better about yourself and your classroom.



A great way to organize your iPods or classroom technology.


Before: A view from the door when you walk in.


Before: A view from the other classroom looking at the teacher desk area. Yikes! 

Before "teacher desk" So messy!
I am (almost) embarrassed to post this.

Before: Weekly supplies and mess I even try to hide.
Before: Behind my small group table.
A mess of sorts.
I didn't even have a place to put my bags!
Before: Another View.
After "Teacher Desk"
Whew. Now I feel better.
Although I just noticed that blue cord...

After: Another view.  Clean and neat.
After: A view from the carpet.
Notice the yellow and green tubs.  Those will hold all of my reading and math small group supplies!



The first picture is a close up of where I used to keep my teacher binders and files.
The second picture shows my "safe place" and junky filing system.
The third shows the finished product.




After: A view looking at the door.
Here's where I keep all of my teacher files and shared materials for my team teacher.




Well, what do you think?  I know it's not much but it is definitely better than the before pictures RIGHT?

I would love your feedback or any other ideas that would help my classroom look better!

I hope you enjoy your weekend.  I'm not planning on going to the school at all! (An unusual first)

 Hip Hip Horray!




P.S. I have been learning all about how to add a signature, fronts, and blog button.  Do you like them?

P.S.S.   You may think it's common sense but this girl had to read tutorials to figure it out!  I am VERY proud of myself.



4 comments:

  1. Great for you! Organization makes me so happy. I need to spend some time on that. I got rid of my desk in August (without reading the book), and have tried to make it work.

    I also tried to figure out that blog "stuff," but it didn't work. I had to call in the big help.
    Happy weekend!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bomb went off in my classroom, I can't find my desk. I was going in tomorrow to clean - then talked myself out of because of the 3 hour nap today, not getting anything done at home. But, now you have inspired me to go clean tomorrow.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so funny that you are posting this. I did away with my desk shortly after the school year started and was having some trouble with where to keep things. I went to school today and worked on some organization and I think I finally have things where I want them. :)

    I have read and watched so many tutorials......how else is a girl to learn? ;)

    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you let your unorganized freak flag fly! No shame in it! :)
    I too am pretty impressed with your signature... I pay someone to make mine each season!
    Melissa
    LeachTeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete